- Matur AV
- Palmisciano P
- Duah HO
- Chilakapati SS
- Cheng JS
- Adogwa O.
- Martin BI
- Mirza SK
- Spina N
- Spiker WR
- Lawrence B
- Brodke DS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
- Robotic and navigated pedicle screws are safer and more accurate than fluoroscopic freehand screws: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Spine J. 2022; 23: 197-208
- Trends in lumbar fusion procedure rates and associated hospital costs for degenerative spinal diseases in the United States, 2004 to 2015.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019; 44: 369-376
- Correlation between low triggered electromyographic thresholds and lumbar pedicle screw malposition: analysis of 4857 screws.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007; 32: 2673-2678
- The use of intraoperative triggered electromyography to detect misplaced pedicle screws: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Neurosurg: Spine. 2016; 24: 624-638
- Safety and accuracy of freehand pedicle screw placement and the role of intraoperative O-Arm: a single-institution experience.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2023; 48
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: JKG: Nothing to disclose. DP: Consulting: Stryker (C), Globus (C). WC: Royalties: Symgery; Consulting: Bard; Scientific Advisory Board: Bard (B). SJ: Nothing to disclose. WZR: Royalties: Acera Surgical (D); Consulting: Nuvasive (A), Corelink (B), Depuy (C), Globus (C); Grants: Department of Defense, NIH (Paid directly to institution); Fellowship Support: NREF (Paid directly to institution), Medtronic (Paid directly to institution). MPK: Consulting fee or honorarium: Wolters Kluwer (B, Paid directly to institution). JCW: Royalties: Zimmer Biomet (F), Seaspine (C), Depuy Synthes (B), Novapproach (A); Stock Ownership: Bone Biologics, Pearldiver, electrocore, surgitech; Consulting: Bioretec, Angitia, Epidutech; Board of Directors: AO Foundation (B); Fellowship Support: AO Spine North America (E, Paid directly to institution). JSH: Nothing to disclose. ARV: Royalties: Stryker (G), Globus (D), Medtronic (F), Atlas (B), Alphatech Spine (F), Elsevier (A), Jaypee (A), Taylor Francis/Hodder and Stoughton (A), Thieme (B); Stock Ownership: Accelus (100,000 shares), Advanced Spinal Intellectual Properties (Unknown number of options, 29% ownership), Atlas (25,000 shares), Avaz Surgical (277 shares), AVKN Patient Driven Care (Unknown number of options, 50% ownership), Bonovo Orthopaedics (100,000 shares), Computational Biodynamics (Unknown number of options, 25% ownership), Cytonics (25,000 shares), Deep Health (830 shares), Dimension Orthotics LLC (Unknown number of options, 20.62% ownership), Electrocore (38,439 shares), Flagship Surgical (50,000 shares), FlowPharma (200,000 shares), Globus (123,398 shares), Harvard MedTech (20,000 shares), Innovative Surgical Design (35,484 shares), Jushi (Haywood) (135,980 shares), Nuvasive (30,000 shares), Orthobullets (30,000 shares), Parvizi Surgical Innovation (100,000 shares), Progressive Spinal Technologies (Unknown number of options, 14.5% ownership), Replication Medica (15,000 shares), Sentryx (40,000 shares), Spineology (8,125 shares), Stout Medical (561 shares), ViewFi Health (5,000 shares); Consulting: Globus (B). ZG: Nothing to disclose. JWS: Consulting: Stryker Spine (E). MPS: Royalties: Elselvier, NASS (Deputy Editor, The Spine Journal) (B), Globus (A), Biomet (B); Consulting: Globus (B); Speaking and/or Teaching Arrangements: Globus (B), Premia Spine (B); Board of Directors (Past Chair); Neuropoint alliance (non compensated); Scientific Advisory Board: CeraPedics (B).
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Response to letter to the editor regarding “robotic and navigated pedicle screws are safer and more accurate than freehand screws: a systematic review and meta-analysis”The Spine Journal
- PreviewWe would like to thank Dr Greenberg and colleagues for their enthusiastic readership of our work. When writing this systematic review and meta-analysis we anticipated this would be a contentious topic. It is not our intention to imply that freehand screws are unsafe or below the standard of care. Let us state now and unequivocally that freehand screws are safe and effective and well within the standard of care. The decision to use navigated or robotic screws is one which should depend on patient characteristics and the surgeon's level of comfort with these techniques.