- •Unilateral high-riding vertebral artery may cause the nonuniform settlement of lateral mass.
- •Unilateral high-riding vertebral artery is associated with morphological changes of atlantoaxial joint.
- •We first propose the settlement phenomenon of C2 lateral mass and measurement method.
- •Expanding the understanding of effect of high-riding vertebral artery on atlantoaxial joint.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
- Risk of vertebral artery injury: comparison between C1-C2 transarticular and C2 pedicle screws.Spine J. 2013; 13: 775-785
- Vertebral artery and osseous anomalies characteristic at the craniocervical junction diagnosed by CT and 3D CT angiography in normal Czech population: analysis of 511 consecutive patients.Neurosurg Rev. 2017; 40: 369-376
- A safe screw trajectory for atlantoaxial trans-articular fixation achieved using an aiming device.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005; 30: E236-E242
- Analysis of 3-dimensional course of the intra-axial vertebral artery for C2 pedicle screw trajectory: a computed tomographic study.Spine. 2014; 39: E1010-E1014
- The C2 pedicle width, pars length, and laminar thickness in concurrent ipsilateral ponticulus posticus and high-riding vertebral artery: a radiological computed tomography scan-based study.Asian Spine J. 2019; 13: 290-295
- Prevalence of high-riding vertebral artery: a meta-analysis of the anatomical variant affecting choice of craniocervical fusion method and its outcome.World Neurosurg. 2020; 143: e474-e481
- Bicortical short C2 pars screw fixation for high-riding vertebral artery provided sufficient biomechanical stability.Spine. 2021; 47: 369-375
- The medial window technique as a salvage method to insert C2 pedicle screw in the case of a high-riding vertebral artery or narrow pedicle: a technical note and case series.Eur Spine J. 2022; 31: 1251-1259
- Anomalous vertebral artery at the extraosseous and intraosseous regions of the craniovertebral junction: analysis by three-dimensional computed tomography angiography.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005; 30: 2452-2457
- The severity of basilar invagination and atlantoaxial dislocation correlates with sagittal joint inclination, coronal joint inclination, and craniocervical tilt: a description of new indexes for the craniovertebral junction.Neurosurgery. 2014; 10: 621-630
- C2-fractures: part II. A morphometrical analysis of computerized atlantoaxial motion, anatomical alignment, and related clinical outcomes.Eur Spine J. 2009; 18: 1135-1153
- CT evaluation of the pattern of odontoid fractures in the elderly—relationship to upper cervical spine osteoarthritis.Eur Spine J. 2005; 14: 78-83
- Bicortical short C2 Pars screw fixation for high-riding vertebral artery provided sufficient biomechanical stability.SPINE. 2021; 47: 369-375
- Geometric and mechanical properties of human cervical spine ligaments.J Biomech Eng. 2000; 122: 623-629
- Development and validation of a C0–C7 FE complex for biomechanical study.J Biomech Eng. 2005; 127: 729-735
- Numerical investigation on the stability of human upper cervical spine (C1-C3).Biomed Mater Eng. 2022; 33: 169-181
- Mechanical properties of the human cervical spine as shown by three-dimensional load-displacement curves.Spine. 2001; 26: 2692-2700
- Three-dimensional movements of the upper cervical spine.Spine. 1988; 13: 726-730
- Prevalence of high-riding vertebral arteries and narrow C2 pedicles among Central-European population: a computed tomography-based study.Neurosurg Rev. 2021; 44: 3277-3282
- Radiographic measures of settlement phenomenon in patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis.Clin Rheumatol. 2015; 35: 1573-1578
- Medial compartment decompression by fibular osteotomy to treat medial compartment knee osteoarthritis: a pilot study.Orthopedics. 2015; 38: e1110-e1114
- Anatomical basis of the support of fibula to tibial plateau and its clinical significance.J Orthop Surg Res. 2021; 16: 1-7
- Morphological changes and stress redistribution in osteoporotic spine.in: Takashi H. Spinal Disorders in Aging. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo1994
- Tibial plateau non-uniform settlement, malalignment, coronal subluxation, and tibia rotation in medial compartment osteoarthritis: a geometrically radiographic study.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2018; 11: 7072-7079
- Association between the inclination angle of the proximal tibiofibular joint surface and medial compartment knee osteoarthritis.Ann Palliat Med. 2021; 10: 8753-8761
- The effect of partial fibulectomy on contact pressure of the knee: a cadaveric study.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2014; 24: 1285-1299
- Proximal fbular osteotomy: a new surgery for pain relief and improvement of joint function in patients with knee osteoarthritis.J Int Med Res. 2017; 45: 282-289
- Medial Compartment Decompression by Proximal Fibular Osteotomy: A Biomechanical Cadaver Study.Orthopedics. 2018; 41: e496-e501
- Left-right asymmetries and other common anatomical variants of the first cervical vertebra.Manual Therapy. 1997; 21: 24-36
DeWitt M, Ledet E, Spilker RL. The significance of non-uniform anatomic geometry on diffusion to the intervertebral disc. 2011 IEEE 37th Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference (NEBEC); 2011:1-2.
- The association between atlantoaxial instability and anomalies of vertebral artery and axis.Spine J. 2021; 22: 249-255
- Anatomical adaptation of fibula and its mechanism of proximal partial fibulectomy associated with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis.Orthop Surg. 2019; 11: 204-211
- Proximal fibular osteotomy in the treatment of medial osteoarthritis of the knee - A narrative review of literature.Knee Surg Relat Res. 2019; 31: 16
- Geometry of a weight-bearing and non-weight-bearing bone in the legs of young, old, and very old men.Calcif Tissue Int. 2009; 85: 22-30
- Prevalence of high-riding vertebral artery: a meta-analysis of the anatomical variant affecting choice of craniocervical fusion method and its outcome.World Neurosurg. 2020; 143: 474-e481
- Risk of the high-riding variant of vertebral arteries at C2 is increased over twofold in rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis.Neurosurgical Rev. 2020; 44: 2041-2046
- Rheumatoid arthritis as a risk factor for a narrow C2 pedicle: 3D analysis of the C-2 pedicle screw trajectory.J Neurosurg Spine. 2008; 9: 17-21
- Correlation between osteoarthritis of the atlantoaxial facet joint and a high-riding vertebral artery.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2021; 22: 406
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: CT: Nothing to disclose. YHL: Nothing to disclose. QW: Nothing to disclose. QT: Nothing to disclose. FM: Nothing to disclose. CHC: Nothing to disclose. SCX: Nothing to disclose. YBL: Nothing to disclose. TWC: Nothing to disclose. DJZ: Nothing to disclose.