We appreciate the interest in our systematic review on outcomes in surgical treatment for tandem spinal stenosis [
]. We would also like to thank the editors for the opportunity to respond to the issues raised in the letter by Dr Bhangoo.
- Ahorukomeye P
- Saniei S
- Pennacchio CA
- et al.
Outcomes in 25 surgical treatment for tandem spinal stenosis: systematic literature review.
Spine J. 2022; 22: 1788-1800https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2022.07.088
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Outcomes in 25 surgical treatment for tandem spinal stenosis: systematic literature review.Spine J. 2022; 22: 1788-1800https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2022.07.088
- Is there a difference between simultaneous or staged decompressions for combined cervical and lumbar stenosis?.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2011; 24: 409-413https://doi.org/10.1097/BSD.0b013e318201bf94
- Coexisting lumbar and cervical stenosis 26 (tandem spinal stenosis): an infrequent presentation. Retrospective analysis of single-stage 27 surgery (53 cases).Eur Spine J. 2014; 23: 64-73https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-013-2868-4
- Prospective analysis of 29 functional outcome of single-stage surgical treatment for symptomatic tandem spinal 30 stenosis.Indian J Orthop. 2019; 53: 315-323https://doi.org/10.4103/ortho.IJOrtho_316_17
- Surgical outcomes of single 32 stage surgery for Tandem spinal stenosis (TSS) in elderly and younger patients: a comparative 33 study.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2021; 17: 157-162https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2021.03.007
- Simultaneous or staged operation for tandem spinal 13 stenosis: surgical strategy and efficacy comparison.J Orthop Surg Res. 2021; 16: 214https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-021-02357-x
Published online: February 20, 2023
Accepted: February 13, 2023
Received in revised form: February 10, 2023
Received: February 3, 2023
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: PA: Nothing to disclose. CWC: Nothing to disclose.
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Letter to the editor regarding, “Outcomes in surgical treatment for tandem spinal stenosis: systematic literature review” by Ahorukomeye et alThe Spine JournalVol. 23Issue 6
- PreviewI read with interest the systemic review by Ahorukomeye et al  on outcomes in surgical treatment for tandem spinal stenosis. The authors’ primary outcomes included the perioperative parameters of overall operative time and estimated blood loss (EBL) when comparing staged versus simultaneous surgery for tandem spinal stenosis. I would like to point out that it is not fair to compare these outcomes as they have limited clinical utility. In the case of overall operative time, the authors simply added up the individual times of each staged surgery to compare it to the single operative time of a simultaneous surgery.