- •The relationship between the clinical outcomes and facet distraction after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) remains unclear.
- •Δ Facet distraction measured using computed tomography strongly correlated with neck pain, and over-distraction contributed to adverse long-term outcomes, including neck and arm pain after ACDF.
- •An Δ over-distraction of ≥1.8 mm may cause radiculopathy of adjacent segments along with facet-mediated axial pain.
- •Cage height should be carefully determined to avoid over-distraction during ACDF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
- National trends in spinal fusion for cervical spondylotic myelopathy.Surg Neurol. 2009; 71 (discussion 9): 66-69
- Cervical radiculopathy focus on characteristics and differential diagnosis.Asian Spine J. 2020; 14: 921-930
- Degenerative cervical myelopathy: pathophysiology and current treatment strategies.Asian Spine J. 2020; 14: 710-720
- Robinson anterior cervical discectomy and arthrodesis for cervical radiculopathy. Long-term follow-up of one hundred and twenty-two patients.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993; 75: 1298-1307
- The role of distraction in improving the space available for the cord in cervical spondylosis.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1995; 20: 771-775
Karamian BA, Levy HA, Canseco JA, Goyal DKC, Divi SN, Lee JK, et al. Does facet distraction affect patient outcomes after ACDF? [e-pub ahead of print]. Global Spine J 2021;21925682211004244. doi: 10.1177/21925682211004244.
- Relationship between facet joint distraction during anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for trauma and functional outcome.Bone Joint J. 2018; 100-b: 1201-1207
- The relationship between increased intervertebral disc height and development of postoperative axial neck pain after anterior cervical fusion.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2014; 55: 343-347
- Is facet joint distraction associated with functional outcome in patients with cervical spondylotic radiculopathy treated with single-segment anterior cervical discectomy and fusion?.World Neurosurg. 2020; 140: e53-e60
- Impact of interspace distraction on fusion and clinical outcomes in anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: a longitudinal cohort study.Asian Spine J. 2022; 16: 369-374
- Reproducibility of radiographic measurements for subaxial cervical spine trauma.Spine. 2011; 36: 1374-1379
- Intraobserver reproducibility and interobserver reliability of cervical spine measurements.J Pediatr Orthop. 2000; 20: 66
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Social science research design and statistics: a practitioner’s guide to research methods and IBM SPSS.Watertree Press LLC, Chesapeake, VA, 233282013
- Cut-off points for mild, moderate, and severe pain on the visual analogue scale for pain in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain.Pain. 2014; 155: 2545-2550
- Categorising the severity of neck pain: establishment of cut-points for use in clinical and epidemiological research.Pain. 2005; 119: 176-182
- Effects of disc height and distractive forces on graft compression in an anterior cervical discectomy model.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002; 27: 2441-2445
- Pain generation in lumbar and cervical facet joints.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 63-67
- How the increase of the cervical disc space height affects the facet joint: an anatomy study.Spine. 2006; 31: E350-E3E4
- Biomechanical analysis of facet and graft loading in a Smith-Robinson type cervical spine model.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1994; 19: 2540-2544
- Can routine laboratory tests discriminate between severe acute respiratory syndrome and other causes of community-acquired pneumonia?.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 40: 1079-1086
- 0.5- to 1-fold intervertebral distraction is a protective factor for adjacent segment degeneration in single-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.Spine. 2020; 45: 96-102
- Adjacent segment degeneration after single-level anterior cervical decompression and fusion: disc space distraction and its impact on clinical outcomes.J Clin Neurosci. 2015; 22: 566-569
- Does anterior plating of the cervical spine predispose to adjacent segment changes?.Spine. 2005; 30: 2788-2792
- Index and adjacent level kinematics after cervical disc replacement and anterior fusion: in vivo quantitative radiographic analysis.Spine. 2011; 36: 721-730
- Radiculopathy and myelopathy at segments adjacent to the site of a previous anterior cervical arthrodesis.JBJS. 1999; 81: 519-528
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable
Author disclosure: DHL: Nothing to disclose. JYL: Nothing to disclose. HRL: Nothing to disclose. JWC: Nothing to disclose. CJH: Nothing to disclose. CSL: Nothing to disclose.