- •BMP use in spinal fusions decreased from 2006 to 2015 for Medicare patients.
- •There was significant state and region-level geographic variation in BMP use.
- •BMP use was associated with increased hospital costs but similar Medicare payments.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
- Bone morphogenetic protein in complex cervical spine surgery: a safe biologic adjunct?.WJO. 2013; 4: 53https://doi.org/10.5312/wjo.v4.i2.53
- Prevalence, complications, and hospital charges associated with use of bone-morphogenetic proteins in spinal fusion procedures.JAMA. 2009; 302: 58https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.956
- Utilization trends of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein in the United States.Spine. 2020; 46: 874-881https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000003919
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion using rhBMP-2 with tapered interbody cages.J Spinal Disord. 2002; 15: 13
- Clinical and radiographic outcomes of anterior lumbar interbody fusion using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2.Spine. 2002; 27: 2396-2408https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200211010-00015
- Bone morphogenetic proteins in anterior lumbar interbody fusion: old techniques and new technologies. Invited submission from the joint section meeting on disorders of the spine and peripheral nerves, March 2004.J Neurosurg. 2004; 1: 254-260https://doi.org/10.3171/spi.2004.1.3.0254
- Influence of rhBMP-2 on the healing patterns associated with allograft interbody constructs in comparison with autograft.Spine. 2006; 31: 775-781https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000206357.88287.5a
- Bone morphogenetic proteins for spinal fusion.Spine J. 2005; 5: S240-S249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2005.02.014
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion involving a polyetheretherketone spacer and bone morphogenetic protein.J Neurosurg. 2005; 2: 5
- Contribution of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein—2 to the rapid creation of interbody fusion when used in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: a preliminary report. Invited submission from the joint section meeting on disorders of the spine and peripheral nerves, March 2004.J Neurosurg. 2004; 1: 19-23https://doi.org/10.3171/spi.2004.1.1.0019
- Safety of transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion and intervertebral recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein—2.J Neurosurg. 2005; 3: 436-443https://doi.org/10.3171/spi.2005.3.6.0436
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion using rhBMP-2.Eur Spine J. 2008; 17: 1735-1744https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-008-0799-2
- Adjacent vertebral body osteolysis with bone morphogenetic protein use in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion.Spine J. 2011; 11: 507-510https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2011.01.017
- Retrograde ejaculation after anterior lumbar interbody fusion with and without bone morphogenetic protein-2 augmentation: a 10-year cohort controlled study.Spine J. 2012; 12: 881-890https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2012.09.040
- Retrograde ejaculation after anterior lumbar interbody fusion using rhBMP-2: a cohort controlled study.Spine J. 2011; 11: 511-516https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2011.02.013
- Complications associated with single-level transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion.Spine J. 2009; 9: 623-629https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2009.04.004
- Cancer after spinal fusion.Neurosurgery. 2013; 73: 440-449https://doi.org/10.1227/NEU.0000000000000018
- Complications with the use of bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2) in spine surgery.Spine J. 2014; 14: 552-559https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2013.08.060
- A critical review of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 trials in spinal surgery: emerging safety concerns and lessons learned.Spine J. 2011; 11: 471-491https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2011.04.023
- Estimating a price point for cost-benefit of bone morphogenetic protein in pseudarthrosis prevention for adult spinal deformity surgery.J Neurosurg Spine. 2019; 30: 814-821https://doi.org/10.3171/2018.12.SPINE18613
- Epidemiologic trends in the utilization, demographics, and cost of bone morphogenetic protein in spinal fusions.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2014; 7: 177-181https://doi.org/10.1007/s12178-014-9222-2
- Trends in bone morphogenetic protein usage since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Advisory in 2008: what happens to physician practices when the Food and Drug Administration issues an advisory?.Global Spine J. 2014; 4: 71-76https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0033-1363515
- The influence of geography, time, and payer type on the utilization of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) between 2005 and 2015.Clin Spine Surg. 2018; 31: 174-179https://doi.org/10.1097/BSD.0000000000000585
- Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 613-619https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(92)90133-8
- Trends, costs, and complications of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with and without bone morphogenetic protein in the united states Medicare population.Global Spine J. 2017; 7: 603-608https://doi.org/10.1177/2192568217699207
- Epidemiological trends in the utilization of bone morphogenetic protein in spinal fusions from 2002 to 2011.Spine. 2014; 39: 491-496https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000000167
- Trends in the use of bone morphogenetic protein-2 in adult spinal deformity surgery: a 10-year analysis of 54 054 patients.Int J Spine Surg. 2018; 12: 453-459https://doi.org/10.14444/5054
- Complications of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2.Eur Spine J. 2007; 16: 1257-1265https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-007-0351-9
- Increased swelling complications associated with off-label usage of rhBMP-2 in the anterior cervical spine.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006; 31: 2813-2819https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000245863.52371.c2
- Bone morphogenetic protein use in spine surgery in the United States: how have we responded to the warnings?.Spine J. 2017; 17: 1247-1254https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2017.04.030
- Variation in surgical decision making for degenerative spinal disorders. Part I: Lumbar spine.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005; 30: 2208-2213https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000181057.60012.08
- Over 20 years of declining Medicare reimbursement for spine surgeons: a temporal and geographic analysis from 2000 to 2021.J Neurosurg Spine. 2022; 1: 1-8https://doi.org/10.3171/2022.2.SPINE211368
- Reaching the Medicare allowable threshold in adult spinal deformity surgery: multicenter cost analysis comparing actual direct hospital costs versus what the government will pay.Spine Deform. 2022; 10: 425-431https://doi.org/10.1007/s43390-021-00405-4
- Are current DRG-based bundled payment models for lumbar fusions risk-adjusting adequately? An analysis of Medicare beneficiaries.Spine J. 2020; 20: 32-40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2019.04.024
- Bone morphogenetic protein use in spine surgery—complications and outcomes: a systematic review.Int Orthop (SICOT). 2016; 40: 1309-1319https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-016-3149-8
- Cost–utility analysis of rhBMP-2 use in adult spinal deformity surgery.Spine. 2020; 45: 1009-1015https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000003442
- Change in off-label use of bone morphogenetic protein in spine surgery and associations with adverse outcome.Global Spine J. 2016; 6: 650-659https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1571284
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: HW: Nothing to disclose. JYW: Nothing to disclose. KM: Nothing to disclose. CPA: Royalties: Stryker, (F); Royalties: Biomet Zimmer Spine, (C); Royalties: DePuy Synthes, (F); Royalties: NuVasive, (B); Royalties: Next Orthosurgical, (F); Royalties: K2M (None); Royalties: Medicrea, (B); Stock Ownership: Agada Medical, (B); Stock Ownership: Carlsmed, (B); Consulting: DePuy Synthes, (B); Consulting: Medtronic, (B); Consulting: Medicrea, (B); Consulting: K2M, (B); Research Support (Investigator Salary, Staff/Materials): Titan Spine, (E); Research Support (Investigator Salary, Staff/Materials): DePuy Synthes, (None); Research Support (Investigator Salary, Staff/Materials): ISSG (C); Grants: SRS, (None). JKR: Consulting: Stryker (D); Consulting: Alphatec Spine (B); Consulting: NuVasive (C): Consulting: Medtronic (D); Trips/Travel: Stryker (B); Trips/Travel: NuVasive (B); Trips/Travel: Alphatec Spine (B); Trips/Travel: Carlsmed ($22.78); Trips/Travel: DePuy Synthes Sales ($33.79); Trips/Travel: Medtronic (B); Trips/Travel: Medical Device Business Services ($87.31). CCZ: Consulting: Stryker, 7D (C); Speaking and/or Teaching Arrangements: Stryker, 7D, Amgen (B); Research Support (Investigator Salary, Staff/Materials): Stryker (E).