- •Vertebral bone quality is correlated with volumetric bone mass density.
- •Combination of vertebral bone quality scores increases the correlation effect sizes.
- •Combined vertebral bone qualities show high sensitivity and specificity.
Abbreviations:AUC (area under the curve), BMI (body mass index), CSF (cerebral spinal fluid), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), qCT (quantitative computer tomography), ROC (receiver operating characteristics), ROI (region of interest), SI (signal intensity), STIR (short tau inversion recovery), vBMD (volumetric bone mass density), VBQ (vertebral bone quality)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global prevalence of osteoporosis among the world older adults: a comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Surg Res. 2021; 16: 669
- Importance of early diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis to prevent fractures.Am J Manag Care. 2006; 12: S181-S190
- ACR–SPR–SSR practice parameter for the performance of musculoskeletal quantitative computed tomography (QCT) [database on the Internet].American College of Radiology, 2018 (Available at:)Accessed November 7, 2018)
- Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis : report of a WHO study group [meeting held in Rome from 22 to 25 June 1992].World Health Organization, Geneva1994
- Novel MRI-based score for assessment of bone density in operative spine patients.Spine J. 2020; 20: 556-562
- Vertebral bone quality score predicts fragility fractures independently of bone mineral density.Spine J. 2021; 21: 20-27
- Preoperative MRI-based Vertebral Bone Quality (VBQ) score assessment in patients undergoing lumbar spinal fusion.Spine J. 2022; 22: 1301-1308
- Role of trabecular microarchitecture and its heterogeneity parameters in the mechanical behavior of ex vivo human L3 vertebrae.J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 2324-2331
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
- Opportunistic diagnosis of osteoporosis, fragile bone strength and vertebral fractures from routine CT scans; a review of approved technology systems and pathways to implementation.Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2021; 13 (1759720×211024029)
- Validation of asynchronous quantitative bone densitometry of the spine: Accuracy, short-term reproducibility, and a comparison with conventional quantitative computed tomography.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 6284
- Understanding logistic regression analysis.Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2014; 24: 12-18
- A power primer.Psychol Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- Receiver operating characteristic curve in diagnostic test assessment.J Thorac Oncol. 2010; 5: 1315-1316
- Combining multiple magnetic resonance imaging sequences provides independent reproducible radiomics features.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 2068
- Estimated epidemiology of osteoporosis diagnoses and osteoporosis-related high fracture risk in Germany: a German claims data analysis.Arch Osteoporos. 2020; 15: 127
- An overview and management of osteoporosis.Eur J Rheumatol. 2017; 4: 46-56
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: PJR: Nothing to disclose. BC: Nothing to disclose. KJ: Nothing to disclose. MR: Nothing to disclose. MPM: Nothing to disclose. TH: Nothing to disclose. JTK: Nothing to disclose. FSK: Nothing to disclose. WL: Nothing to disclose. LW: Nothing to disclose.