- •Few studies have focused on complications resulting from non-elective spine surgery.
- •There is a 7.5% risk of SSI after fusion surgery for thoracic/lumbar fractures.
- •Obesity and the Elixhauser Comorbidity Index are independent predictors of SSI in this cohort.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Risk factors associated with surgical site infections after thoracic or lumbar surgery: a 6-year single centre prospective cohort study.J Orthop Surg Res. 2021; 16https://doi.org/10.1186/S13018-021-02418-1
- Risk factors for surgical site infection in spinal surgery.J Neurosurg: Spine. 2003; 98: 149-155https://doi.org/10.3171/SPI.2003.98.2.0149
- Management of post-operative infections after spinal instrumentation.J Neurosurg. 1997; 86: 975-980https://doi.org/10.3171/JNS.1997.86.6.0975
- Infection risk for primary and revision instrumented lumbar spine fusion in the Medicare population: Clinical article.J Neurosurg: Spine. 2012; 17: 342-347https://doi.org/10.3171/2012.7.SPINE12203
- Risk factors for infection after spinal surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005; 30: 1460-1465https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000166532.58227.4F
- Risk of infection following posterior instrumented lumbar fusion for degenerative spine disease in 817 consecutive cases: Clinical article.J Neurosurg: Spine. 2014; 20: 45-52https://doi.org/10.3171/2013.10.SPINE1364
- The presentation, incidence, etiology, and treatment of surgical site infections after spinal surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35: 1323-1328https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0B013E3181BCDE61
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Report, data summary for 2006 through 2007, issued November 2008.AmJ InfectControl. 2008; 36: 609-626https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AJIC.2008.08.001
- Management and outcome of spinal implant-associated surgical site infections in patients with posterior instrumentation: analysis of 176 cases.Eur Spine J. 2022; 31: 489-499https://doi.org/10.1007/S00586-021-06978-Y
- Clinical outcomes after lumbar fusion complicated by deep wound infection: acase-control study.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012; 37: 1370-1374https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0B013E31824A4D93
- The impact of surgical site infection on patient outcomes after open posterior instrumented thoracolumbar surgery for degenerative disorders.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2021; 103: 2105-2114https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.20.02141
- Predictors of increased cost and length of stay in the treatment of postoperative spine surgical site infection.Spine J. 2018; 18: 300-306https://doi.org/10.1016/J.SPINEE.2017.07.173
- Thirty-day readmission rates in spine surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurosurg Focus. 2015; 39https://doi.org/10.3171/2015.7.FOCUS1534
- Cost and quality of life outcome analysis of postoperative infections after subaxial dorsal cervical fusions.J Neurosurg Spine. 2015; 22: 381-386https://doi.org/10.3171/2014.10.SPINE14228
- Impact of spine surgery complications on costs associated with management of adult spinal deformity.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2016; 9: 327-332https://doi.org/10.1007/S12178-016-9352-9
- Cost and quality of life outcome analysis of postoperative infections after posterior lumbar decompression and fusion.J Clin Neurosci. 2019; 68: 105-110https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JOCN.2019.07.025
- Risk factors for surgical site infection after spinal surgery: a meta-analysis.World Neurosurg. 2016; 95: 507-515https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WNEU.2015.05.059
- Prevention of surgical site infection in spine surgery.Neurosurgery. 2017; 80: S114-S123https://doi.org/10.1093/NEUROS/NYW066
- Post-operative wound infection after instrumentation of thoracic and lumbar fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2001; 15: 566-569https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-200111000-00006
- Risk factors for surgical site infection in the patient with spinal injury.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003; 28: 1475-1480https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000067109.23914.0A
- Risk factors for surgical site infection after instrumented fixation in spine trauma.J Clin Neurosci. 2016; 23: 123-127https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JOCN.2015.08.023
- Surgical treatment of traumatic fractures of the thoracic and lumbar spine: a systematic review of the literature on techniques, complications, and outcome.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004; 29: 803-814https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000116990.31984.A9
- Risk factors for post-operative infection following posterior lumbar instrumented arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 1627-1633https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.J.00039
- Intraoperative fraction of inspired oxygen is a modifiable risk factor for surgical site infection after spinal surgery.Anesthesiology. 2009; 110: 556-562https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0B013E3181974BE7
- The influence of perioperative risk factors and therapeutic interventions on infection rates after spine surgery: a systematic review.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0B013E3181D8342C
- Risk factors for spinal surgical-site infections in a community hospital: a case-control study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003; 24: 31-36https://doi.org/10.1086/502112
- A methodological systematic review on surgical site infections following spinal surgery: part 1: risk factors.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012; 37: 2017-2033https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0B013E31825BFCA8
- Identifying increased risk of readmission and in-hospital mortality using hospital administrative data: the AHRQ Elixhauser Comorbidity Index.Med Care. 2017; 55: 698-705https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000735
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199801000-00004
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 676-682https://doi.org/10.1093/AJE/KWQ433
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Predicting in-hospital mortality in Eederly patients with cervical spine fractures: acomparison of the Charlson and Elixhauser Comorbidity Measures.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015; 40: 809-815https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000000892
- A comparison of the Elixhauser and Charlson Comorbidity Indices: predicting in-hospital complications following anterior lumbar interbody fusions.World Neurosurg. 2020; 144: e353-e360https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WNEU.2020.08.138
- Elixhauser Comorbidity Measure is superior to Charlson Comorbidity Index in-predicting hospital complications following elective posterior cervical decompression and fusion.World Neurosurgery. 2020; 138: e26-e34https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WNEU.2020.01.141
- The difference in surgical site infection rates between open and minimally invasive spine surgery for degenerative lumbar pathology: a retrospective single center experience of 1,442 cases.Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown). 2019; 16: 750-755https://doi.org/10.1093/ONS/OPY221
- Post-surgical immune suppression: another target to improve postoperative outcomes.J Anesth. 2019; 33: 625-627https://doi.org/10.1007/s00540-019-02651-3
- The immune system in critical illness.Clin Chest Med. 2008; 29: 605-616https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CCM.2008.08.001
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Edited by Prof C Bono.
FDA drug/ device status : Not applicable.
Author disclosures: EAY: Nothing to disclose. DJMH: Nothing to disclose. JY: Nothing to disclose. JNO: Nothing to disclose.