- •This study evaluates the effect of early surgery on elderly patients which present with unstable extension type fractures following minor trauma.
- •Delay of surgery (>72 hours) in geriatric patients presenting with an unstable extension type thoracolumbar fracture may cause an increase in medical complications and mortality at 6 months.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Spinal fractures in patients with ankylosing spinal disorders: a systematic review of the literature on treatment, neurological status and complications.Eur Spine J. 2009; 18: 145-156https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-008-0764-0
- Fractures in spinal ankylosing disorders: a narrative review of disease and injury types, treatment techniques, and outcomes.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: S57-S74https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000953
- Spine fractures in patients with ankylosing spinal disorders.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35: E458-E464https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181cc764f
- Effect of early surgery after hip fracture on mortality and complications: systematic review and meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2010; 182: 1609-1616https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.092220
- Reduced time to surgery improves mortality and length of stay following hip fracture: results from an intervention study in a Canadian health authority.Can J Surg. 2015; 58: 257-263https://doi.org/10.1503/cjs.017714
- Isolated hip fracture in the elderly and time to surgery: is there an outcome difference?.Trauma Surgery and Acute Care Open. 2018; 3https://doi.org/10.1136/tsaco-2018-000212
Bennett A, Li H, Patel A, Kang K, Gupta P, Choueka J, et al. Retrospective Analysis of Geriatric Patients Undergoing Hip Fracture Surgery: Delaying Surgery Is Associated With Increased Morbidity, Mortality, and Length of Stay n.d. https://doi.org/10.1177/2151459318795260.
- Determinants of mortality after hip fracture surgery in Sweden: a registry-based retrospective cohort study.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-33940-8
- The effect of hospital type and surgical delay on mortality after surgery for hip fracture.J Bone Joint Surg - Series B. 2005; 87: 361-366https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.87B3.15300
- Length of stay, mortality, morbidity and delay to surgery in hip fractures.J Bone Joint Surg - Series B. 2009; 91: 922-927https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.91B7.22446
- Does early fracture fixation of thoracolumbar spine fractures decrease morbidity or mortality?.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181d830c1
- AOSpine thoracolumbar spine injury classification system.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013; 38https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3182a8a381
- Radiographic and pathologic features of spinal involvement in Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH).Radiology. 1976; 119https://doi.org/10.1148/119.3.559
- Early surgery for thoracolumbar spine injuries decreases complications.J Trauma - Injury, Infect Critical Care. 2004; 56: 52-57https://doi.org/10.1097/01.TA.0000108630.34225.85
- The beneficial effects of early stabilization of thoracic spine fractures depend on trauma severity.J Trauma - Injury Infect Critical Care. 2010; 68: 1208-1212https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181a0e558
- Timing of thoracic spine stabilization in trauma patients: impact on clinical course and outcome.J Trauma. 2006; 61 (discussion 160.): 156-160https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000222669.09582.ec
- Early surgery for patients with a fracture of the hip decreases 30-day mortality.Bone Joint J. 2015; 97-Bhttps://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.97B1.35041
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: GB: Nothing to disclose. SA: Nothing to disclose. NA: Nothing to disclose. AHS: Nothing to disclose. ES: Nothing to disclose. AF: Nothing to disclose.