- •The rate of unplanned reoperation in 35,246 spinal patients was 0.84% based on a single center from 2016 to 2021.
- •The chief reasons for reoperation in 30 days after spine surgery included hematoma, wound infections, neurologic deficit, and pedicle screw malposition.
- •Patients with a diagnosis of anemia, osteoporosis, ankylosing spondylitis, foot drop, deep venous thrombosis, and previous surgical history were significantly associated with a higher incidence of unplanned reoperation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Unplanned reoperation for bleeding.Am Surg. 1996; 62: 52-55
- Unplanned reoperations: is emergency surgery a risk factor? A cohort study.J Surg Res. 2013; 182: 11-16
- Preoperative Nutritional Status is an Independent Predictor of 30-day Hospital Readmission After Elective Spine Surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016; 41: 1400-1404
- Unplanned hospital readmission after surgical treatment of common lumbar pathologies: rates and causes.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015; 40: 423-428
- Factors associated with a 30-day unplanned readmission after elective spine surgery: a retrospective cohort study.Eur Spine J. 2021; 30: 191-199
- Unplanned revision spinal surgery within a week: a retrospective analysis of surgical causes.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016; 17: 28
- Unplanned immediate return to operating room after spine surgery: significance of immediate postoperative radiographs.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019; 44: 258-262
- Risk factors for 30-day reoperation and 3-month readmission: analysis from the quality and outcomes database lumbar spine registry.J Neurosurg Spine. 2017; 27: 131-136
- Unplanned reoperation within 30 days of fusion surgery for spinal deformity.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e87172
- An analysis of causes of readmission after spine surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012; 37: 1260-1266
- 30-Day readmission after spine surgery: an analysis of 1400 consecutive spine surgery patients.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017; 42: 520-524
- Complications rate of and risk factors for the unplanned reoperation of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis in elderly patients: a retrospective single-centre cohort study of 33 patients.BMC Geriatr. 2020; 20: 301
- Risk factors for unplanned reoperation within 30 days following elective posterior lumbar spinal fusion.Global Spine J. 2018; 8: 388-395
- Unplanned hospital readmissions and reoperations after pediatric spinal fusion surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015; 40: 856-862
- Prolonged length of stay and risk of unplanned 30-day readmission after elective spine surgery: propensity score-matched analysis of 33,840 patients.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2020; 45: 1260-1268
- Unplanned return to the operating room in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: are we doing better with pedicle screws?.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013; 38: 1842-1847
- Incidence and risk factors for unplanned return to the operating room following primary definitive fusion for pediatric spinal deformity: a multicenter study with minimum 2-year follow-up.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2021; 46: E498-E504
- Thirty-day readmission and reoperation after surgery for spinal tumors: a National Surgical Quality Improvement Program analysis.Neurosurg Focus. 2016; 41: E5
- Causes and timing of unplanned 90-day readmissions following spine surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018; 43: 991-998
- A web-based calculator for predicting the occurrence of wound complications, wound infection, and unplanned reoperation for wound complications in patients undergoing surgery for spinal metastases.World Neurosurg. 2021; 155: e218-e228
- The rise of quality indicators in neurosurgery: 30-day unplanned reoperation rate evaluated in 3760 patients-a single-center experience.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2020; 162: 147-156
- Unplanned reoperation of lumbar spinal surgery during the primary admission: a multicenter study based on a large patient population.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016; 41: 1279-1283
- Retrospective analysis of causes and risk factors of 30-day readmission after spine surgery for thoracolumbar trauma.Global Spine J. 2021; (21925682211041045)
- Spine surgeon specialty is not a risk factor for 30-day complication rates in single-level lumbar fusion: a propensity score-matched study of 2528 patients.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014; 39: E919-E927
- Postoperative spinal epidural hematoma (SEH): incidence, risk factors, onset, and management.Spine J. 2013; 13: 134-140
- Risk factors for surgical site infection after spinal surgery: a meta-analysis.World Neurosurg. 2016; 95: 507-515
- Risk factors for surgical site infections following spinal surgery.J Clin Neurosci. 2015; 22: 1862-1866
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable.
Author disclosures: HO: Grants: Capital's Funds for Health Improvement and Research (2020-4-40916) (D); Clinical Medicine Plus X-Young Scholars Project, Peking University, the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (PKU2021LCXQ005) (D); National Natural Science Foundation of China (82102638) (D); Peking University Third Hospital Clinical Key Project (BYSYZD2021040) (C). YH: Nothing to disclose. WH: Nothing to disclose. HZ: Nothing to disclose. ZS: Nothing to disclose. YT: Nothing to disclose. YJ: Nothing to disclose. JC: Nothing to disclose. SD: Nothing to disclose. WL: Nothing to disclose. YT: Nothing to disclose.