Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion is a common procedure for degenerative cervical radiculopathy. In 1996, Dr. H.D. Jho reported an operative technique allowing nerve root decompression via anterior uncoforaminotomy whereas avoiding fusion.
To assess long-term clinical and radiological outcomes of anterior uncoforaminotomy in patients with degenerative cervical spine pathology.
A single clinic, retrospective cohort study.
Adult patients who underwent anterior uncoforaminotomy from 2013 to 2018.
Clinical outcomes were assessed using VAS, NDI, SF-36 criteria. Radiological parameters included sagittal balance, disc height and White anPanjabi criterion.
MATERIALS AND METHODS
All patients underwent unilateral single-level anterior uncoforaminotomy, and long-term clinical and radiologic follow up was carried out. Clinical outcomes were assessed using VAS, NDI, SF-36 criteria. Radiological parameters evaluated included sagittal balance, disc height and White and Panjabi criteria (3.5 mm of translation, 11 degrees of kyphosis). The mean follow-up period was 33.3 ± 10.6 months (range 12–57 months).
All measures of clinical outcome improved. VAS (neck) and VAS (arm) decreased 3 [2; 4] and 5 [3; 5.2] points (median [interquartile range]), respectively (p<0.001); NDI improved from 0.38 [0.36; 0.4], to 0.29 [0.22; 0.34] (p<0.001). Two patients (6%) required additional surgery one year after operation. There were no complications in the perioperative period. Disc height decreased 0.8 mm [0.1; 2.1] (p<0.001). All patients retained stability of the cervical spine based on White and Panjabi criteria. Sagittal balance parameters did not change significantly.
Uncoforaminotomy is an effective and safe method to decompress a unilateral single-level nerve root in degenerative cervical radiculopathy whereas preserving anatomy and motion of the cervical spine.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The course and prognostic factors of symptomatic cervical disc herniation with radiculopathy: a systematic review of the literature.Spine J. 2014; 14: 1781-1789
- Epidemiology of cervical radiculopathy: a population-based study from Rochester, Minnesota, 1976 through 1990.Brain. 1994; 117 (April): 325-335
- Cervical radiculopathy: a review.HSS J. 2011; 7 (Oct): 265-272
- Cervical radiculopathy.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2016; 9: 272-280
- Ruptured intervertebral disks; cervical, thoracic and lumbar, lateral and central.Surg Clin North Am. 1954; 34: 1095-1111
- «Rupture of the intervertebral disc with involvement of the spinal canal», August 2, 1934.N Engl J Med. 1934; 211: 210-215
- Microsurgical anterior cervical foraminotomy for radiculopathy: a new approach to cervical disc herniation.J Neurosurg. 1996; 84: 155-160
- The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483
- The Neck Disability Index: a study of reliability and validity.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991; 14 (Sep): 409-415
- Clinical biomechanics of the spine.Second ed. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1990 (ISBN 0-397-50720-8)
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017 (URL Available at:)
- Neck Disability Index, short form-36 physical component summary, and pain scales for neck and arm pain: the minimum clinically important difference and substantial clinical benefit after cervical spine fusion.Spine J. 2010; 10: 469-474
- Anterolateral cervical disc removal and interbody fusion for cervical disc syndrome.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1955; 96 (Abstract): 223-224
- A lateral approach to the cervical spine: technique and indications.J Neurosurg. 1968; 28: 191-203
- Trans-unco-discal approach. A combined anterior and lateral approach to cervical discs.J Neurosurg. 1976; 45: 284-291
- Biomechanical effects of progressive anterior cervical decompression.Spine. 2001; 26: 6-14
- Radiculopathy and myelopathy at segments adjacent to the site of a previous anterior cervical arthrodesis.Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999; 81A: 519-528
- Anterior microforaminotomy for treatment of cervical radiculopathy: part 1—disc-preserving “functional cervical disc surgery”.Neurosurgery. 2002; 51 (Nov): S46-S53
- Clinical and radiological long-term outcomes of anterior microforaminotomy for cervical degenerative disease.spine. 2013; 38: 1812-1819
- Treatment of degenerative cervical disc disease with uncoforaminotomy–intermediate clinical outcome.Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2008; 51 (Aug): 211-217
- Long-term outcomes following anterior foraminotomy for one- or two-level cervical radiculopathy.Eur Spine J. 2013; 22 (Jul): 1489-1496
- Modified transcorporeal anterior cervical microforaminotomy for cervical radiculopathy: a technical note and early results.Eur Spine J. 2007; 16 (Sep): 1387-1393
- Anterior cervical microforaminotomy for cervical radiculopathy—results and review.Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2008; 51: 258-262
- Comparison between transuncal approach and upper vertebral transcorporeal approach for unilateral cervical radiculopathy - a preliminary report.Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2006; 49 (Oct): 296-301
- Anterior cervical foraminotomy for cervical radiculopathy.Br J Neurosurg. 2007; 21 (Aug): 370-374
- Extent of disc degeneration after single-level cervical anterior microforaminotomy analyzed with long-term radiological data.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2014; 56 (Sep): 200-205
- Anterior cervical foraminotomy for unilateral radicular disease.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000; 25 (Apr 15): 905-909
- Anterior cervical foraminotomy for unilateral spondylotic radiculopathy.Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2004; 47 (Jun): 186-189
- Prospective study of anterior cervical microforaminotomy for cervical radiculopathy.J Clin Neurosci. 2008; 15 (Jul): 749-756
- Small keyhole transuncal foraminotomy for unilateral cervical radiculopathy.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2006; 148 (Sep): 951-958
- Microsurgical anterior cervical foraminotomy (uncoforaminotomy) for unilateral radiculopathy: clinical results of a new technique.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2002; 144 (Jul): 685-694
- Failed anterior cervical foraminotomy.Neurosurg. 2003; 98: 126-130
- Failed anterior cervical foraminotomy.Neurosurg. 2003; 98: 121-125
Published online: February 02, 2021
Accepted: January 26, 2021
Received in revised form: January 19, 2021
Received: April 18, 2020
FDA device/drug status: Not applicable
Author disclosures: VSK: Nothing to disclose. VVK: Nothing to disclose. BLC: Nothing to disclose. AVE: Nothing to disclose. EAL: Nothing to disclose. EVA: Nothing to disclose. AVB: Nothing to disclose. APP: Nothing to disclose. JAR: Nothing to disclose.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.