- •We compared the accuracy of four radiographic anterior cervical fusion criteria.
- •ExGBB criterion demonstrated the highest reliability and accuracy.
- •ISM criterion has comparable accuracy to the CT scan as initial diagnostic test.
- •Bridging bone and InGBB criteria were less accurate in case used cage We recommend ISM and ExGBB criteria to increase accuracy in case used cage.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Spine Journal
- Radiological determination of postoperative cervical fusion: a systematic review.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015; 40: 974-991
- Dynamic radiographic criteria for detecting pseudarthrosis following anterior cervical arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 557-563
- Methods of evaluating lumbar and cervical fusion.Spine J. 2014; 14: 531-539
- Anterior cervical fusion assessment using reconstructed computed tomographic scans: surgical confirmation of 254 segments.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013; 38: 2171-2177
- When is a spine fused?.Injury. 2011; 42: 306-313
- Prospective analysis of imaging prediction of pseudarthrosis after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: computed tomography versus flexion-extension motion analysis with intraoperative correlation.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011; 36: 463-468
- Radiographic assessment of cervical subaxial fusion.J Neurosurg Spine. 2009; 11: 221-227
- Radiologic assessment of spinal fusion.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012; 20: 694-703
- Pseudarthrosis of the spine.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17: 494-503
- Diagnosing cervical fusion: a comprehensive literature review.Asian Spine J. 2008; 2: 127-143
- A prospective clinical and radiographic 12-month outcome study of patients undergoing single-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for symptomatic cervical degenerative disc disease utilizing a novel viable allogeneic, cancellous, bone matrix (trinity evolution) with a comparison to historical controls.Eur Spine J. 2016; 25: 2233-2238
- Anterior cervical fusion for radicular-disc conflict performed by three different procedures: clinical and radiographic analysis at long-term follow-up.Eur Spine J. 2013; 22: S905-S909
- Clinical and radiological evaluation of Trabecular Metal and the Smith-Robinson technique in anterior cervical fusion for degenerative disease: a prospective, randomized, controlled study with 2-year follow-up.Eur Spine J. 2010; 19: 464-473
- Anterior cervical fusion with interbody cage containing beta-tricalcium phosphate augmented with plate fixation: a prospective randomized study with 2-year follow-up.Eur Spine J. 2008; 17: 698-705
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Do CT scans overestimate the fusion rate after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion?.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2015; 28: 41-46
- Anterior cervical fusion assessment: surgical exploration versus radiographic evaluation.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008; 33: 1185-1191
☆FDA device/drug status: not applicable.
Author disclosures: KDR: Honorarium: AOSpine (A). Royalties: BIOMET (F), Medtronic (G). Stock Ownership: Amedica (1%), Benvenue (1%), Expanding Orthopedics (<1%), Nexgen Spine (1%), Vertiflex (1%), Osprey (1%), Paradigm Spine (1%), Spinal Kinetics (1%), Spineology (<1% ), Vertiflex (1%). Consulting: Nuvasive (B), Biomet (unreported), Medtronic (unreported). Speaking/Teaching Arrangements: Epibone (B), Biomet (B), Medtronic ( B), Zeiss (B). Trips/Travel: DEPUY SYNTHES (courses taught for AOSpine, some AOSpine funding comes from Depuy Synthes); Board of Directors: AOSpine (e). Research Support: AO Spine (Paid directly to institution/employer). JJY: Nothing to disclose. DGC: Nothing to disclose. SMP: Nothing to disclose. JSY: Nothing to disclose. JSL: Nothing to disclose. ECJ: Nothing to disclose. KSS: Grants: Chung-Ang University Research Grants in 2016 (B).